There will be lots of discussion and demos of how to be successful at growing cut flowers. that will include:
- What to plant when – frost dates, warm season annuals, cool flowers etc.
- How to read a seed packet and seed catalogue
- Seeding in trays or soil blocks vs direct seeding and timing for each
- Conditions needed for best germination and growing (water, heat and light)
- Caring for a seed tray
- Watering your tray – bottom or overhead
- Bed preparation – composting, fabric? till or no-till?
- Transplanting seedlings into the ground and watering-in
- Caring for plants after transplanting – watering, fertilizing
- How to fight weeds – weed barrier, weeding, garden tools
- When and how to cut your flowers – we’ll see what’s blooming in the hoop house
- How to preserve in vase
- List of local resources
- How to share – Growing Kindness Project